Monday, December 3, 2012

Cocktail Table with Ottomans




Well we have a working, but not completed cocktail table AND our ottomans arrived!  I thought about turning our old coffee table into an ottoman, but I preferred two separate than one big one.  Then I saw these guys on Overstock and fell in love.  With free shipping and a discount code they were about $125 for the pair. 

I used more of those wonderful 12x24 white carrara marble tiles that I used on our nightstands. {I may have a slight obsession with white carrara.} The frame is simply 1x2 select pine boards with 2x2's for the legs; most all the joinery is done with pocket screws via a Kreg Jig.  Since staining pine is less than fabulous, I just spray painted. I used Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze to give more dimension to the finish than just black paint.  It needs another coat, but I'm waiting until I figure out an edge detail.  I have half an idea in my head, but I need to sketch it through to make sure it works before I proceed.



I really tried to do the whole "styled" table, but I just couldn't go through with it.  It is simply not me.  I find that half way through the arranging I can't stop thinking "ugh the dusting will take FOR-EV-ER."  While I could just do it for the photo, it kinda feels like lying, so if you were to come to my house this is what it looks like - well maybe with a glass of wine and an IPA to the side, too.



For those of you wondering the difference between all the table verbiage I use here is how we distinguish it in my day job:
Coffee Tables: Low, usually between 15-19" high
Cocktail Tables: Low-Mid, usually between 20-22" high
Dining Tables: Mid, usually between 28-30" high
Console Tables: High, usually between 31-34" high

The Hubbs is happy about the ottomans, too

No comments:

Post a Comment