Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sunday In Suburbia: The {New} Dining Room Chandy

So, I'm about half done with 5 other projects...I really need to focus in on something, but it's juggling 10 minutes of free time here and there, so it's hard to make real progress.

I knew updating the dining room chandelier would be at the top of the list before we even bought the house.  It was just not my taste.  I like oil-rubbed bronze in some places, but it was not going to work with my formal dining room concept.  Of course buying new would be the easy solution, but I have other more important things to spend $250 on.  Enter spray paint project 1 of 423.


A few coats of white glossy spray paint along with removing the horrid mauve toned glass shades made quite the difference.  Long term I would love Edison lamps in this fixutre, but the ones I want are $9 each.  $9x5=$45, and I'm not spending that just on 5 light bulbs right now.  Plus, the candelabra lamps are growing on me.

Here is the dining room before we moved in:

Dining Room Before


Dining Room Before: View From Stairs
We are not done, but it may be a while before I spend the money on a buffet and new upholstered chairs.  But here's the "progress".  It's funny to me that I was the most unsure about the paint color here, and everyone that has come to my house has loved this color.  I'm really happy with it, too!  It's about 80% Sherwin Williams "Interesting Aqua" and 20% Martha Stewart "Flagstone" reduced to 50% intensity.  I am still contemplating painting the oak banister and railing to white.  I know the look would be right, but paint does not typically hold up as well as stain, and the railing gets all the abuse!  If you can notice - I painted the wall mounted railing half way up the stairs.  Like about 5 other things around the house, I'm going to live with it a little while and see what I think before proceeding.

Dining Room Progress
Dining Room Progress: View From Stairs

No comments:

Post a Comment